Car crashes are a significant cause of personal injury claims and lawsuits. Despite the ever-increasing safety capabilities created for cars by the auto industry, these crashes occur all too often in Springfield, Hampden County, and the country. They commonly result in serious injuries or death for drivers and their passengers. In fact, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Massachusetts experienced 327 fatal crashes that killed 343 individuals in 2020. The majority of these were the occupants of cars.
Traffic crashes involving autos, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, and pedestrians are traumatizing incidents with life-altering consequences, from severe whiplash to head injuries. At Libbos Law, we understand firsthand the repercussions of these accidents for our clients. We are committed to giving you our best effort in personal injury representation. Each of our attorneys has an exceptional record of successfully representing individuals who have been seriously injured in car and truck accidents.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Springfield, MA
Car accidents can happen for various reasons, but some causes are more common than others. Understanding the most frequent causes of car accidents in Springfield, MA can help you stay alert and avoid potential hazards on the road. Here are some of the top causes of car accidents in our area:
- Distracted driving, including texting, talking on the phone, eating, or adjusting the radio
- Speeding or reckless driving
- Drunk or impaired driving
- Failure to obey traffic signals or signs
- Poor weather conditions, such as rain, snow, or fog
- Fatigue or drowsy driving
What You Should Do After a Springfield Car Crash
Being involved in a car accident can be a traumatic, and even life-threatening experience. It is critical to know what steps to take after an accident has occurred in order to protect yourself and ensure your safety. In the moments following the collision, there are five key things you should do:
- Check for Injuries. The first thing you should do after a car accident is to check for injuries. If you or anyone else involved in the accident appears to be injured, you should call 911 immediately. Even if the injuries seem minor, it is always best to err on the side of caution and seek medical attention.
- Move to a Safe Location. Once you have ensured that everyone is safe, you should move your vehicle to a safe location, if possible. If your vehicle is blocking traffic or is in a dangerous spot, it is best to move it. However, if you are unable to move your vehicle, do not try to force it.
- Call the Police. Even if there are no apparent injuries and both vehicles can be moved, you should still call the police. The police will create a report of the accident, which can be useful if there is any dispute about what happened later on.
- Take Pictures of the Accident Scene. If you have a camera or smartphone, take pictures of the accident scene before you move your car or clean up any debris. These pictures can be helpful when filing an insurance claim or taking legal action later on.
- Seek an Attorney's Help. It is important to have an experienced legal advocate who understands insurance companies and laws related to car crash cases. This will help protect you and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries, property damage, and other crash-related losses.
Understanding Car Accident Claims
Car accidents can be devastating. If you have been involved in a car accident in Springfield, MA, it's essential to understand your legal rights and options for seeking compensation. At Libbos Law, we are committed to helping our clients navigate the complexities of car accident claims.
Here are some key things to know about car accident claims:
- Filing a Claim: To seek compensation for your damages, you must file a car accident claim with the at-fault driver's insurance company. It's important to have a skilled car accident attorney on your side to handle this process and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.
- Types of Damages: You may be entitled to compensation for various damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage. Your attorney can help you determine the full extent of your damages and fight for fair compensation.
- Statute of Limitations: Massachusetts has a three-year statute of limitations for car accident claims. This means you have three years from the date of the accident to file a claim. It's important to act quickly and consult with an attorney as soon as possible.
- Comparative Negligence: Massachusetts follows a comparative negligence system, which means if you are partially at fault for the accident, your compensation may be reduced proportionally. Your attorney can help you understand how this may impact your case.
How Car Accident Claims Are Different Than Truck Accidents
Some accidents are much more complicated than others, such as those involving commercial trucks. These accidents can have various parties involved, from drivers to trucking companies, cargo loaders, truck maintenance companies, and more. The trucking industry is also subject to federal regulations that may have been violated, leading to the accident. Moreover, companies have their own legal teams dedicated to reducing liability and payouts.
Maximizing Your Car Accident Settlement
After a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. However, insurance companies are often more concerned with their bottom line than your well-being. They may try to offer you a low settlement or deny your claim altogether. That's where our experienced Springfield car crash attorneys come in. We can help you navigate the complex legal process and negotiate with insurance companies to maximize your settlement. Our team will gather evidence, interview witnesses, and consult with medical experts to build a strong case on your behalf.
Some factors that may affect your settlement include:
- The severity of your injuries
- The cost of your medical treatment
- The amount of lost wages and future earning potential
- The extent of property damage
- The degree of fault assigned to each party
Don't let insurance companies take advantage of you. Contact our Springfield car crash attorneys today for a free consultation!
Why Should I Contact a Springfield Car Crash Attorney?
After an accident, it is vital that you speak with one of our qualified attorneys as soon as possible. Before you talk to an insurance company. The worst thing you can do if you’ve been injured is to immediately accept an offer from them. What may appear to be an impressive settlement may be far below fair value. Our firm can determine the facts of the matter, including the full extent of your injuries, property damage, lost income, and all other losses incurred before insurance companies can decide what they will pay out. These companies are commonly not working for your best interests, only their own. That is why you need a legal advocate who can work to ensure you get optimum results. Furthermore, if negotiations do not lead to fair results, our team is not afraid to take your case to court. As trial lawyers, we have the knowledge, skills, and experience to aggressively represent you before a judge and jury.
What to Expect When Working with Libbos Law
At Libbos Law, we understand that being involved in a car accident can be a stressful and overwhelming experience. That's why we strive to make the legal process as smooth and straightforward as possible for our clients. When you work with us, you can expect the following:
- Compassionate and personalized attention from our experienced Springfield car crash lawyers
- A thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding your accident
- Assistance with filing insurance claims and negotiating with insurance companies
- Representation in court, if necessary, to fight for the compensation you deserve
- Regular communication and updates throughout the legal process
We aim to help you focus on your recovery while we handle the legal aspects of your case. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn how we can help you get the compensation you deserve after a car accident in Springfield, MA.
Fighting for the Injured in Hampden County, MA
Our firm is here to fully protect your legal rights in the aftermath of an accident. We have won more than 1,400 cases since our inception in 1991 and have recovered more than $1,000,000 for the injured and their families. Whether you have been injured due to someone speeding, texting while driving, driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, tailgating, or simply not paying attention, we can help. We know what evidence is needed to build strong cases and how to negotiate or litigate to put your needs, not those of insurers, first.
Over 10,000 Cases Won by Our Team
$80 Million+ Recovered for Clients
We Offer Free Consultations